anhydrous methanol

John D. Chapman chapmajd@wfu.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:24 MST 2000

Richard,
	I use heat from a hair dryer (low setting) while moving the
flanges treated with methanol.  I use protek when neither alcohol nor
alcohol and water do the trick.  I try alcohol first because it leaves no
residue.  All lubricants leave a residue which may cause problems in years
to come. Even if the lubribants don't cause a problem, they can interfere
with treating a problem caused by something else (humidity, wear,
Mountain Dew, whatever). If you use alcohol or alcohol and water, it does
it's work and doesn't stick around.  Sometimes protek is the only thing
that works, but in a few years the next technician isn't going to know
that those flanges have protek in them and may wonder why the flanges are
responding in such a strange way to the treatment he is using.

John