humidity and unisons

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri Jul 21 01:13 MDT 2000

> I definitely believe in bridge distortion in several directions. There
> is a marked tendency, for instance, for a big difference in pitch change
> on either side of a break, where the bridge has a curve. Makes sense
> that the bridge has tilted one way or another.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

My guess is that if the bridge tilts downwards (towards the striking point)
the string will ride up on the b pin and loose contact with the bridge
surface.   This I imagine might be conducisive to false beats.   If the
bridge tilts backwards (toward hitch pin) this will put more contact of the
string on the front of the bridge which I think is ideal.  That the plane of
the bridge be perfect for the optimum string contact to bridge surface is at
best only an average.  It would seem then that the maker or rebuilder wants
the plane to favor maximum contact at the front of the bridge.  These are
conjectures only    ---ric