recital piano usage

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Jul 27 14:28 MDT 2000

Dave asks:
<< 1. Do you limit access to your recital piano(s)?

We try, but the keys to the lock seem to multiply

2. How much rehearsal time is allowed for piano recitals on that piano?

  Depends on who it is.  Students may get one or two passes through on the
good piano.  Big time faculty get all they request.

3. How much rehearsal time is allowed for vocal or instrumental recitals
where that piano will be used to accompany?

    The second piano is supposed to be used for accompaniment, but everyone
wants to use the best piano.  Since no one in admin. wants to tell a faculty
member "NO",  all curricula courses try to use the concert piano.

4. Is the piano locked and covered, and if so, who is in charge of the
key? What about weekend recitals? (we have many) >>
 The piano is covered and locked, but there are many with keys, and many that
leave the lock out of place, etc.
    I have come to the conclusion that only money talks,  so the budget
office needs to be forewarned of the replacement of hammers and key bushing
every three years, shanks and dampers every other time, and they still will
suffer harsh sound and loud action noises for a third of the time the piano
is in use.
    I also told them that if the concert piano is used like a practise piano,
it will sound like a practise piano.
Regards,
Ed Foote
Blair School of Music,