recital piano usage

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Jul 28 07:40 MDT 2000

David, I cannot offer you a clear reply, as we are currently re-drafting our
policy for the (Lorne Watson) Recital Hall.

All the questions you asked apply, and were addressed in our previous
guidelines, the problem of course is in maintaining these.

The key, in my mind, is what is to consider what is realistic, and most of
all sustainable.  Old habits die hard, especially among faculty.

We do have a fallboard lock, and only 3 keys exist.  The office has been
dilligent in governing the use of the keys.  We'll keep this policy

On the other hand, when I came here (2 years ago) there was a dampp-chaser
in our recital "D," but it was and wasn't being kept plugged-in.  Although I
heartily believe in the systems (we have them in all 62 other instruments)
and I have a new G8PS set aside for this piano, I am reluctant to install it
until all variables (where it's plugged in, who is allowed to move the
piano, etc,) are settled.

So, in my mind, it's not so much about the rules, as whether they can
possibly be sustained, or not.

I hate to get "dug-in" over an issue, then find I have to back down and
re-think it, this is not so good for "esprit de corps."  For example, I will
replace hammers and shanks on the recital "D" in August, then I will need
the very students who are normally prohibited from using this instrument, to
provide me with 50 hours of "play-in" time before September 5th.

Thanks for bringing this dialogue to the list David, the discussion so far
has already been helpful,

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University