Friction/Buzz at Agraffes

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue Mar 7 00:28 MST 2000

>Could it be from someone over-zealously
> lifting the strings and introducing a kink?  Help!
> Jeannie
>
> Jeannie Grassi, RPT
> mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

Its hard for one to blame string leveling.   You do it or you don't. (level)
I have not heard those who level say they suspect buzzes result down the
line.  I don't do it, because it was not taught to me.  Now to those who
level it may appear I don't know enough. I can't ask those who I learned
from because they are no longer with us.
And if I dared voice suspicions it might seem the syndrone of the professor
who proclaimed what he didn't know wasn't knowledge.   I could draw a wicked
"imaginary"
diagram, but Jeannie's suggestion of a kink or bend moving to or almost
through the agraffe suffices.    I imagine the "hole profile" has a lot of
potential effect.

For the "regular"  occasional buzzes, zingings, (the ones you can put duct
tape on after you have found them with your finger and they go away) , I
have always suspected a tiny bit of corrosion on the string at the contact
point.  That a cloth should cover the tuning pins and out beyond the
agraffes and bars, to protect the strings from sweat, sneezes, coughs, humid
breath, maids overspray, spills....  But that has never been done
er.     ---ric