Frame Cracked Twice, Engineering help?

Tue Mar 21 10:22 MST 2000

Roger,

Unless there is something truly abnormal about the stringing scale -- and I
don't think there is -- this plate is not cracking due to the string
tensions through this area.  By this I mean that adding the string tension
is the last straw.  There is not normally all that much stress on the plate
through the upper tenor/treble sections relative to the strength of the
iron.  I suspect there is something else happening.

Tell us a bit more about the precise location of this crack, where it starts
and where it ends.  Perhaps you could also tell us how the plate is mounted
to the rim, the type and location of any nosebolts in the area and what you
did to lower the plate for added downbearing, etc.

Regards...and our condolences...

Del