plate crack

Donald R McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:11 MST 2000

List,

I have only one experience with a cracked plate. Another technician and I took
on the project some years ago. The plate had a crack in one of the struts.
Although I did not see the welding process, it sounds very much the same as
Vince and Del described. However, there were two other components to the
welder's technique. First he slowly heated the area of the crack before
welding. After finishing with the weld he packed hot sand around the area for
a slow cool down. He claimed it would make a stronger bond. As far as know
this piano is still up and running.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College