bowing strings

Allen Wright allen.wright@oberlin.edu
Sat May 6 09:38 MDT 2000

Richard,

Interestingly, when I went back to touch up before the concert I saw that
the "bows" being used were fishing line (rather than violin bow hair), which
they  rosined up. Quite a mess. Since they were bowing in some cases right
up close to the agraffes, there was resin dust down in the action as well as
on the strings and board. I could've been nasty and pulled the plug on that
piece at the last minute, I suppose, but I figured much of the damage had
already been done.

Apparently this was a student composition (in a multi-piece show) and I'm
not sure whether the conductor, who was in charge of several other pieces
(including a Steve Reich two piano piece) was even aware of how the piano
was being (ab)used by the student. Even though HE had requested the use of
the pianos, his department paid for the moves, etc. Fell between the cracks.
That's what happens when you loan pianos for a dance concert, I suppose. I
guess I'll have a talk with the student and the conductor and try to educate
them. Maybe I whip some common sense into them with fishing line!

Allen