Response to recent issues

Donald R McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Fri May 12 14:03 MDT 2000

Richard, Fred & List,

I have been meaning to respond for a while but this is the time when we
are engaged in the end of year ceremonies, etc. Consequently, I will be
as short as possible.

Point well taken regarding the term “bean counters.”  I have used that
term, but only out of frustration not disrespect. Administrators have a
difficult job at times and, for the most part, respect is well earned.
It is difficult to curtail the use of slang expressions on occasion.
Especially when you know that you are not getting full attention and a
fair hearing. For my part, I will do my best to keep the discussion
focused on the high ground.

The recent discussions about certain aspects of the Guidelines are most
helpful in determining the directions we need to go. Is there anyone who
has an idea, or would like to develop one, on a new way to set up the
formula? I am sure there are some great mathematical minds out there.
Perhaps we can have a contest to stir up some interest. :-)

We have seen some very thoughtful responses on including business
models/information in the Guidelines. This is extremely important to the
revisions IMHO. Please keep those thoughts coming. As with the formula,
any distinct proposals welcome.

I look forward to discussing these issues and more at the CAUT Forum in
Arlington. Getting to hear opinions and ideas face to face will greatly
help in this process. I hope many of you can attend.

The debate on these issues will likely continue past the convention.
However, the CAUT committee would like to have a good draft by the end
of this year for approval. Your help is appreciated and will be recognized.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College