Key Bushing

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Fri May 26 11:53 MDT 2000

Dear List:
	I just got done unbushing the keys from the Steinway D which is over-used
in our recital hall.  The bushings came out in about 25 minutes since the
last set was bushed using hot hide glue, but the dilema is this:  The last
time they were bushed I used quite thick cloth - .062 or better and it was
barely thick enough for many keys.  I am thinking of going to leather for
longer wear, but would like input on what to do for the enlarged mortises.
Should I be shimming them with veneer (using waterproof Titebond II?) to
get back to a .050 thickness of cloth/leather, or just try to find a thick
enough leather to end up with a tight bushing?  I can imagine a thicker
material might also cause problems on the shoulder of the front rail
mortises - it could be trimmed flush but that adds one more step.  Is it
time to consider new keys - and what kind of expense would that incure?
Thanks for your ideas.
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu