Key Bushing

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri May 26 15:35 MDT 2000

At 11:54 AM 05/26/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>         I just got done unbushing the keys from the Steinway D which is
> over-used
>in our recital hall.  The bushings came out in about 25 minutes since the
>last set was bushed using hot hide glue, but the dilema is this:  The last
>time they were bushed I used quite thick cloth - .062 or better and it was
>barely thick enough for many keys.  I am thinking of going to leather for
>longer wear, but would like input on what to do for the enlarged mortises.
>Should I be shimming them with veneer (using waterproof Titebond II?) to
>get back to a .050 thickness of cloth/leather, or just try to find a thick
>enough leather to end up with a tight bushing?  I can imagine a thicker
>material might also cause problems on the shoulder of the front rail
>mortises - it could be trimmed flush but that adds one more step.  Is it
>time to consider new keys - and what kind of expense would that incure?
>Thanks for your ideas.
>Jeff Stickney, RPT
>University of Montana
>jpage@selway.umt.edu

I've been toying with the idea to make bushed inserts.

A mortice chisel would ream the mortice and then the pre-made, wooden,
cloth covered inserts glued in place. The sharps would have to be shimmed with
veneer or whatever because of the lack of material to work with.

The inserts would be made by shaping the wood strip (easing the corner) and
glueing on the cloth. Then the inserts would be cut to length on bandsaw or
some similar fashion.

Marking the center of the original would help to register the new inserts,
shims
or the glue could size to the cauls.

The balance rail must have some wear also. How are the buttons and frogs?
(That's what I remember them being called, can't think of another term).
Depending general wear, new keys may be the best shot.

Too many ideas, too little time.

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net