Marpurg I?

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon Nov 13 09:32 MST 2000

Hi,

I don't know man, of course we can't know exactly, but Ellis' research
didn't reveal any tuners I'm aware of actually tuning a Marpurg I,
although that was earlier.  There does seem to be evidence that American
Tuners may have adapted the switch to equal more quickly than European ones,
but who knows. Fact is anyway, that Marpurg I has only two colors within
the major keys, as opposed to the one color in equal. IMO, that is so
close to equal (it passes the PTG exam) that ultimately it wouldn't make
much difference between equal with the music. If you want subtle color, go
with a nice Victorian style, if you don't, go with equal.  That simple.

It's seems unfortunate sometimes that the tuners of the past didn't leave
behind more evidence of their specific styles, especially considering the
range of options that were generally accepted. I have gradually begun to
understand this on a more personal level, however. It is something I
rarely talk about any more myself. I just do it. My customers and faculty
seem to like very much what I serve up to them, and it works. At the risk
pushing buttons, I think we may have been guilty of over emphasizing
temperament somewhat, but that too was natural with the excitement of our
research in the past 10 years.  When you go into a fine restaurant, does
the chef go into detail about his secrets or ingredients?

I am not familiar with this Mr. Joubert.... so you get some rambling from
one who doesn't anymore.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf