Harumph.

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed Nov 15 01:00 MST 2000

Hi,

Harumph.

"Our very good friend, the brilliant pianist", Jose Feghali, has been in
town rehearsing and performing Tsch. 1 with a local band.  Yesterday, this
worthy earned himself a place in an elite group of pianists, now four, to
be exact, who have decided to "service" (without notice or permission) an
instrument for which I am/have been responsible.  I will not leave any one
of them alone with an instrument.

Those of you who know me know, of course, that I handled this situation
with the kind of infinite grace, tack, and aplomb for which I am so justly
known...Right.

I have not started to work through whatever he was trying to do - there was
not time yesterday, and today's performance was on a different
instrument.  There was time to tune, and nothing else.  So, whatever he
did, he lived with last night...seems the piano had a few noises that it
had not had the day before...

Just to be absolutely clear - I am more than happy to help even the most
brain-dead nimrod with whatever they think they might want, so long as the
instrument is not damaged or things undone.  At the same time, it is
precisely those folks who have a modicum of technical training who are the
most dangerous.  They are, in my experience, the ones the very most likely
to misapprehend why a given thing might be done a given way; or, that they
can (obviously) improve/repair something.  When they become so ego-centric
and irrational as to presume to start working on an instrument with which
they have little, if any, historical relationship, without at least some
notice to the responsible technician, they cross over what is for me, a
line of acceptable behavior.

Anyway, as we used to say in the Navy: "Don't drop the soap."

Best to all.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office, Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100
Stanford, CA 94305

Voice:  650.725.9062
Fax:     650.725.8014