THUD

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed Nov 22 09:10 MST 2000

Good Morning, John,

Christopher's mention of plate struts calls to mind a phenomenon which I am
told was mythical...a creation of my mind (as it were):   In the mid-70s, a
certain well known Eastern piano maker did not experiment with vacuum cast
plates.  The non-existent 7' pianos from this alleged period had a nasty
habit of having their plates fail - mostly through the webbing of the first
treble section, just above the plate strut, and occasionally into the
capo.  The sound I was not hearing from these instruments in such cases
often could have been described (had it existed), as a "thud"dy kind of
sound.  Something between a soundboard which had had something wedged
between it and the frame and a steel-wound bass string on an older SD or
SD6 that was about to break.

Not necessarily relevant to what you are facing now, as I think that the
non-experiment was so sufficiently unsuccessful as to be
self-limiting.  However, I am not quite sure that I would arbitrarily rule
out any possibility.  Didn't Holmes say something to Watson about once one
rules out the things which can be proven not to have occurred that whatever
is left, no matter how impossible, is where to start looking?  Sorry, it's
been too long...

I am most curious about what you might find.

Best.

Horace