S&S: key-frame return spring

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 22 09:17 MST 2000

> Jon Page
>
> PS  I_always_check that relationship before bedding the frame now.

Hi Jon,
           Funny how experience is a great teacher. I've been caught a couple
of times on this one. Just a slow learner I guess.  <G>
Before the sand paper comes out, I have a little key bed check list.
1. Lever clearance.
2. Spring condition and security. Also smooth action sides.
3. Bass stop block and hammer position.
4. Dag/frame wear. Use a few layers of masking tape on the top of the frame to
check this.
If the graphite on the frame is worn through or not worn at all, this will
be a
clue
5. Keybed/frame cleanliness. Once had a paper clip half imbedded into the rear
rail of a Yamaha that gave me some grief.
6. Check the bed for straightness with a 48" straight edge.This can yield some
clues for what you have to deal with.
7. Check that no frame/action stack screws are protruding.
8. Finally, back out all glide bolts before starting. Suprising how many
pianos
clean up the front and back rail when doing this. And then I usually find a
tapered key height.
  You can be caught out very easily with key frames, the 'knock or bow' is not
always the cause of the problem, just the symptom.

Moral of the story:  Look before you leap.

Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213