Metric / American Standard gauges

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Wed Nov 22 19:00 MST 2000

Help!

I am new to CAUT. I service many small venues, Junior colleges and
perforaming arts centers in the Dallas Texas area. I don't normally
restring. But, just for fun...
    I am restringing an old english piano, and I am 'trying' to order some
'PureSound' wire.  Does anyone on the list have a conversion chart, or info
to translate American Standard wire gauge numbers, or thousandths of an
inch, into metric or metric gauge sizes? This piano calls for #12 through
# 20 wire, with 1/2 sizes. Are the gauge numbers (comparing metric to
America Standard) close?
     By the way, Juan Mas Cabre with PureSound, is a great addition to the
restoration and music world. He is the author of the recent articles on wire
for older pianos, in the Journal, and the main squeez at PureSound.
(www.puresound-wire.com)
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. If you are a tech in the Dallas Texas area and want to try some of this
wire, please let me know.
Dan Reed
Dallas