Metric / American Standard gauges

Kenneth P. Eschete k-eschete@nwu.edu
Sun Nov 26 14:15 MST 2000

Dan,
To convert your string measurements to mm, multiply your mircometer
readings by 25.4.
I have restrung English uprights from this period and wonder if you have
anticipated the problem  with the pinblock.  Loose tuning pins are pretty
standard on these instruments and restringing with oversize pins does not
always correct the problem.  The pinblocks are solid wood and the cracks
will just open wider when a larger pin is used.  Then there's the problems
with the nut, which is often made of wood that is cracked.  Bringing up the
string tension of a piano with this condition causes the nut pins to pull
out and fly across the room like bullets.  Then there's the action.....

I really don't think you need to worry about what kind of wire you are
using.  It is unlikely to make any difference in the tone of a piano like this.
Good luck,

Ken Eschete
>Kenneth,
>
>    I did not find string or gauge size on the frame or bridges etc, I miced
>the wire. Do you know how American Standard gauges relate to Metric? Roger
>posted that Mertic is .0005 thinner than Imperial. O.K.! Thats 5 ten
>thousandths. Right? And Imperial relates to American Standard?  I could
>measure the wire witha Metric mic, and end my confusion.
>      FYI, this instrument is an iron frame straight strung birdcage
>vertical, whose owner could not be talked out of the restringing. The piano
>is pretty much the garden varaity.) I am guessing it is about 100+ years
>old, and I am trying to order the correct wire sizes from PureSound. Thanks
>for your post.
>
>Dan Reed
>Dallas, Texas

Kenneth P. Eschete
Director of Keyboard Maintenance
Interim-Director Concert Activities
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA
k-eschete@nwu.edu