Vending machines in music buildings?

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 08:50 MDT 2001

John Minor wrote:

> We have students petitioning to have VENDING machines installed in our
> music building! It sounds insane to me, but I thought I'd check with other
> techs to see if this is "usual".
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois

We have them, here. I'm constantly reminding instrumentalists (pianist and
others) that that can of pop will be very expensive if it spills. Lots of
times, the student picks up the can and says, "It's empty!" I'm working on a
panicked facial expression (color-drained) as a response.....

It turns out that international sign language (you know, the soda pop cup with
a straw stuck in it and bubbles rising from the cup -- all with a slashed
circle super-imposed) is totally ineffective. Visual desensitization occurs
after they've stared at the sign for more than three days, I think. Doesn't
even occur to them that the sign days "no food or drink"!

So far, <knock on wood> there have been no spill incidents.

Ron Torrella
University of Michigan