Vending machines in music buildings?

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 09:51 MDT 2001

Avery Todd wrote:

> Conrad,
>
> Just curious. How do you levy the fines? Can they actually be collected?
> You're at a private college (isn't it?) so maybe it's easier than it
> would be at a state university.

We just had an incident where a non-student damaged the finish of a freshly
refinished 9' Steinway (two days after it had been returned to the stage!!).
The key to getting the kid to pay for the damage was filing a damage report
with campus police. Once that's in place, it becomes a civil matter between the
U and the perp. I suspect that, if you were able to pin down the person who
spilled something in a piano, you could file a damage report and, likewise,
recover not only a fine but also whatever costs are associated with repairing
the piano.

Even in a public U, it's easy enough to get the registrar's office to attach
the fine to the student's transcripts. No pay, no transcript, no job. They'll
pay up.