Vending machines in music buildings?

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 20 22:18 MDT 2001

> How to you manage to get such a computer record? Did UW install those card
> reader
> things outside every grand practice room?
Ron,
No card reader door locks, however we took estimates for the system.
    Our system uses a desk operated by student help, who scan ID cards into
a computer.  Once a person has a key for the practice room they may be there
as long as they can stand it.  15 minute potty breaks are OK, but taking a
key out and keeping it during classes, library visits, etc. it a NO< NO.
    Thereby we have a track on who is using the rooms, the time they check
in and check out.  It's easy to spot students keeping a room out 12 hours
each day, for we assume they must have to go to classes.
    To keep coats and  book bags off pianos we installed racks for this use.
I also made string covers out of drapery material to prevent dust, pencils
and the occasional practice room key from dropping inside the piano.
    This works for us.  I know there are other systems, and we discuss them,
however we keep our beloved 'key desk'.
Joel

--
 Joel A. Jones