Music Desks

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Tue Aug 21 18:13 MDT 2001

While it's true these weak points on Baldwin music shelf & desks need periodic
bandaging, it seems breakage mainly occurs after misuse, i.e. inadvertent
leaning or heavy objects on the desk while in the down position; closing the lid
without the shelf pushed all the way back; a sudden blow from hands creasing
pages of music; fists in a fit of rage, etc....

I tend to have far more problems with most model Steinway music shelf & desks
without support hinges (such as splintered rails, hinge screws ripped out,
gradual tilting backwards and sagging towards the middle) as these seem much
less able to withstand institutional punishment.

Of the Kawai and Yamaha pianos I've worked on most seem to use fairly sturdy
materials and have relatively trouble-free music shelf & desk designs for
institutional settings.

Perhaps others could share redesigns that have worked, or successful techniques
for more permanent repairs to areas of music shelf & desks that tend not to hold
up under extreme conditions.

Rolf von Walthausen
Interlochen Center for the Arts