Cleaning cases

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Wed Aug 22 17:49 MDT 2001

List,

    Have you tried TSP? (Tri-sodium phosphate)

    Twice a year I service a bunch of blonde practice room Hamilton 243's,
that we all know and love. I have found a good way to clean these cases,
which have been subject to dirty hands etc. (I am not suggesting to try this
on newer pianos with good finishes.) I also use this method on soundboards,
which have years of 'environmental goop' on them. It melts oily residues.
Hot water is helpful to disolve the crystals, and soften the finger butter.
My experience has been that the solution does not seem to attack or dull the
finish...if there is a good finish to begin with, it will polish out.
    Some of the 243's have lost some finish prior to my cleaing. The looks
of these pianos can still be improved by cleaning. The wood will "lighten" a
bit after the solution evaporates.

Dan Reed