supplier boycott

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Aug 23 09:05 MDT 2001

I'm going to weigh in here on behalf of suppliers. I am very grateful
to have the quality and variety of parts that is available to me today.
Thinking back twenty years, the increase in quality and variety is
amazing. Yes, I have quarrels with quality on many occasions. But look
at price versus finish. Usually a few minutes with a file or grinder
will turn the offending tool into something useful. Or I could spend
another $50 for a truly "finished" tool. Some times I prefer to finish
my own, some times I prefer to pay the price. I like to have the cheaper
one available. Similarly with parts.
	I do agree with the notion of seeking other suppliers when quality
products aren't available. Would love to see more reliable damper felt
myself, for instance. But the notion of boycotting and getting angry
when a supplier chooses not to attend a seminar conference - well, I
just don't find that kind of thing very useful. Our suppliers are pretty
responsive - give them a call and talk to them if you don't like what
they offer. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. And it costs a lot of
money to send personnel and merchandise across the country - and put the
personnel up in hotel rooms and feed them. Which translates into higher
prices.
	Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Fred Sturm