oh my lordy lordy..

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:09 MDT 2001

Here at USC, we've got 15 Baldwin 6000s and 16 Yamaha U3s, all built the
same year, bought the same year.  The Yamaha's are easier to tune, and the
dampers don't seem to go out of regulation as quickly, but the Baldwins
seem to have at least a 2 to 1 advantage in tuning stability, and the
overall action regulation isn't as affected by the humidity swings.  With
the Yamaha, in the summer the shanks are 1/4" off the rail and in the
winter there's a LOT of lost motion.  If you don't leave it alone you can
adjust lost motion all day every day.

Give me the Baldwins.

Although I tuned my first Charles Walter studio the other day.  It was
about 8 or so years old at a local church.  I'd rather have it instead.

Jeff

>I have not even FINISHED reading all the posts I just got because I just
>read Daniel Dover's message..
>
>You sir... have my DREAM I tell you.
>
>U1's RULE and if I could replace all of those PSO's with those model
>Yamaha's... my God..I'd never leave work.
>
>:( michelle

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician
School of Music