left-handed tuning

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed Aug 29 14:12 MDT 2001

I seem to be the only one weighin in AGAINST tuning other-handed. Here's why:

I have more fine motor skill in my right hand. That's why I'm right-handed. I
want that fine motor skill above all when tuning. Switching to my
less-sensitive side doesn't make sense to me; finding a technique that works
for the dominant hand does.

I think the reason people switch to the other hand is to change the angle and
therefore the "bias" of the tuning lever. Pulling down during tuning springs
the pin downward while it rotates. With some pianos this might be a good
thing. With a tight-ish pin and very little bearing friction, it will spring
back when released. Pulling up, whether with the left hand or using a 10
o'clock position with the right hand, counteracts some of this, maybe the
right amount, maybe too much. I have found it more successful to tune in the
11-1 o'clock position and pull the lever TOWARD me or AWAY from me while
rotating to counteract these non-circular vectors. It is individually
adjustable for each pin, and I don't need to change to a new technique. I use
a similar technique on grands, lifting up or down while turning.

I don't have problems with 1098's. At least not with tuning....
Bob Davis