Thank You

Jeff Stickney stickneyjp@mso.umt.edu
Wed Aug 29 22:07 MDT 2001

Fellow CAUT members,
	For the ten years I have had my University tuning contract, I have given
approximately a 25% discount for all the tunings I do.  I have always been
able to come up with rationalizations for this (prestige, volume tuning,
less travel...), but the rationalizations were never-the-less wearing thin -
along with my relative income.  At the convention this summer, I attended
the forum on contract technician issues and took the opportunity to ask
others what their approach is to this issue.  The answer I liked best was as
follows:  Maximum discount for twice yearly "bulk" tuning - then charge full
rate for 1 piano/day, less for 2/day, less for 3/day, "bulk" rate for 4.
	I wrote this up as a proposal when I got back, and (knock me over with a
feather) the department chair said, "Sure", and it was a done deal.  My bulk
rate is now at about 20% with the 2-3 per day rates in between.  Now when I
go in to tune for a recital, I will get paid my regular market rate!  I
can't remember who gave this idea, but thank you.  And thanks also to the
CAUT forum organizers.  I guess sometimes we're just afraid that if we ask
for more they'll say no, but if you never ask.......

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu