Lacquering Hammers Wait to Play On?

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 4 16:11 MST 2001

At 12:56 AM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:

> Wim,
>     I disagree. I think the answer to the original question, "how long do I
> wait" makes a great deal of difference whether one is using Acetone / Keytop
> or Lacquer. Lacquer will dry much slower and acetone / keytop is playable
> within the time of a normal service call. This is why I wanted to not mix
the
> topic. If your experience is different I sure would be interested to hear
> EXACTLY what materials i.e.. lacquers and in what strengths (mixtures) you
> are using them.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,
               I recently completed a Steinway D that need 3 applications to
get the power I needed for full Orchestra.  Waited 3 days in between each
application of 4:1 thinner to laquer.  Excellent results.  24hrs is the norm,
but in future I will use the 3 day period if practical.
I would only use the keytop material very sparingly at the strike point
when my
back is against the wall.  1hr. and it's workable.  I don't like the tone it
produces at ppp.  FWIW.

Regards Roger