Piano horse

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri Feb 2 10:31 MST 2001

Dear David,
Are you talking about the welded iron contraption, shaped like a quarter
circle with flat facets on the perimeter and an adjustable strut that braces
against the right leg?
I recently watched a fellow move 3 pianos, the largest an old Mason & Hamlin
A, using one of these.  He called it a "mule".  He was about 4'6", 130 lbs.
and could turn the pianos by himself using his mule.  (He did use helpers to
set up and move, but the turning was single handed.)  The facets on the
perimeter can support the piano in various semi-tipped positions, so it is
under control all the way.  If you could combine this with a skid board with
built in dolly, you might be able to do your in-house moving without too
much suffering.
Ed S.

----------
From: "David M. Porritt" <dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu>
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Piano horse
Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 10:18 AM

We have a reduced size keyboard piano that several students are working on.
It is a Steinway "B" in a teacher's studio.  Naturally, these students want
to do their recitals on it so we're looking at moving it from the studio to
the recital hall 2 or 3 times a semester.

I have scrupulously avoided anything that even looks like piano moving in
the past, calling professionals when we have had a need.  Fortunately we
have lots of professional movers here in Dallas, and we haven't moved pianos
all that much.  This 7/8 keyboard changes all that.

Do any of you use the "piano horse" that I've seen at conventions?  Is it a
practical thing to consider?  Can one person really move a piano with one?
Can an out-of-shape 61 year old consider doing this?

Help!!!!!

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net <mailto:dporritt@swbell.net>