psycho-acousti-what?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Feb 13 18:30 MST 2001

Your replys are helpful in clarifying the problem.

Rotating my head (no, not 360 degrees) makes the problem disappear.

The hollow heads (I presume you were referring to the hammers,
Newton!)sounds plausible.

Switching hammers around, how could I forget to do this!?

Moving the piano(s) does not provide a difference;
two different pianos, two very different rooms/same sound.

Have single needled through between crown and molding,
leads me to believe this effect (loud bong/no sustain)has nothing to do with
the hammer-felt whatsoever.

Ths sound is distinctly "point source and directional." It comes right from
the area of the scale in which you are playing, and if your right ear is
angled towards the piano,.."wham!"

The phenomenon is not subtle, and is apparent in individual notes as well as
intervals.

Again, the idea of a glue hollow in the hammerhead(s)may fit. It also
suggests why two pianos of the same mfg. and vintage share the problem.
Especially knowing how this factory (and again, not to criticize) prepares
the butt end of the shank for glueing.

More ideas are welcome, I will see this piano again within the next two
weeks to test them out.

So nice to troubleshoot as a "team!"

best regards,
Mark Cramer,