psycho-acousti-what?

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee@humboldt1.com
Tue Feb 13 22:33 MST 2001

on 2/13/01 12:51 PM, Mark Cramer at cramer@BrandonU.CA wrote:

When a pitch is more powerful than the rest of the  piano and the sustain is
short, look to lack of impedance at the soundboard, in that area especially.
The lack of impedance is called compliance.  The very free motion of the
soundboard saps the energy of the string causing a lowder tone with less
sustain. The correction can be increasing the stiffness of the soubdboard
bridge system or increasing the weight in the problem area.  That can be
done simply by screwing a weight to the back of the soundboard behind the
bridge. The same problem occures at the bass/tenor break with the same
solution.

Daniel Gurnee RPT, retired from HSU, CA