psycho-acousti-what?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed Feb 14 13:36 MST 2001

On 13 Feb 2001, at 14:51, Mark Cramer wrote:

> A year ago, a client told me she had several notes on her (Baldwin) console
> that physically hurt her ear when she played them.
[liberal cutting]

Mark,
I may be way off base on this, but I also had a client with the same
complaint in the same area. Only difference was that it was on a
new Baldwin studio, not a console.

The client was delighted at the results. (I've personally yet to walk
away from a Baldwin with a warm fuzzy feeling).

The "fix" was doing one or both of the following to the offending
notes:

1. Torch hammershank and respace. The hammer wasn't hitting
the string squarely. Results are the goal; cosmetics are last in list
of priorities.

- Leveled strings. Same idea as above, and once discovered it was
quite obvious. I don't normally bother with this type of thing on
verticals.

In either case, for lack of a better explanation, and since rescaling
was out of the question, I'm calling this a phasing problem that
revealed itself when certain intervals were played.

Jim Harvey
[I just fix the stuff, I don't build it]

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate