Out of control

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Feb 16 08:58 MST 2001

When our recital D began spontaneously ejecting strings (treble), I
deliberately spliced rather than replaced them. I do like splicing for all
the right reasons, but also feel it makes a vivid visual picture of the
condition of the instrument. i.e. when I pointed out the splices and
suggested it was nigh time for restringing, everyone agreed. The piano spoke
for itself.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of harvey
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 2:33 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Out of control

That's the best I could do for a title. This begins simply, then gets
more complex.

For the calculator/spreadsheet junkies:

Piano: Yamaha CFIII concert grand
Question: What is a representative tension and/or shear value (as
seen by the tuning pin) on C1 (string #4)? I'm inclined to think
tensions build up pretty fast in those last few notes. Perhaps
185~225 lbs at the moment of the bend?

Yesterday, before beginning to service this piano for a concert, I did
octave checks just to get the overall "lay of the land", considering
recent climate swings. I usually do A's, but for some reason, I
began with C1 this time. Although I did playing blows (not test
blows), C1 chose that moment to break.

Except for practicing while watching TV, I'm not good with splices
in real-time. Regardless, I had no core wire that large to even
attempt a splice, so another piano was substituted.

Since the break was at the pin instead of the agraffe, might I
correctly conclude that it was overpulled at some point, and that
my test just took it over the edge? If so, better then than during the
performance. Otherwise, the lowest section of this piano is
normally a "hard pull", enough to make me consider (but dismiss)
the idea that the strings are not rendering properly.

The bigger issue:
This piano has been used (and unwillfully abused) in all sorts of
venues since 1987. It has performed admirably considering NO
budget or even routine maintenance has been done. Most concert
grands with a similar service record would have been rebuilt or at
least restrung/hammers by now.

Unless something changes (budget considerations), I know this
piano is working on borrowed time. I also know that this incident,
coupled with other indicators, is a sign of things to come.

IOW, I know what projections and recommendations to make, but
am keenly aware that the university will start crying the blues about
hard times and budget restraints. That leaves me... and reality.

In summary, is anyone else having to use the band-aid service
approach on key instruments? In this instance, I can improve my in-
piano splicing abilities, somehow acquire lengths of HUGE core
wire, and so on. It's those other cliff-hanging surprises that concern
me.

Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate