Erard Piano Questions

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Mar 1 12:58 MST 2001

Some specific responses inserted in the text below:

Stickney, Jeff P wrote:

> List,
>
> I serviced a 1912 Erard grand piano today, and have a few questions for you
> who have more experience with pianos of this variety than I.  First
> question: Was this piano designed/scaled to be tuned to 440?

International pitch standard was A435 at the time. The piano should take
440 just fine, assuming no structural defects (like cracked plate).

> Would this
> piano have originally had quite small tuning pins?   It does not look like
> the pin block was replaced although the current pins seem to be 2/0 - my
> Hale #3 tip (which I use on most pianos) has a quite sloppy fit, and the #2
> tip (which I usually use on Shimmel's, etc.) is just right.

I would expect 1/O or smaller, originally. I'd pull one of the loose
ones (that is slipping), measure it with micrometer, and replace with a
size or two larger.

> Second question:  Although they didn't ask, would there be any special
> value/interest in this piano?  The action has a wooden frame, the shanks are
> attached to individual brass flanges, and the back checks are metal and come
> up through the forked end of the shank just before it attaches to the
> hammer.  The back checks catch on leather which is wrapped around the forked
> opening opposite the hammer (a picture is worth how many words??).  The
> dampers rest underneath the strings and are pulled *down* by some spoons
> which protrude from the back of the action.

Erard is kind of like the European version of Chickering. Always
experimenting with everything, so there is never a standard, and
replacement parts are problematic. I would downplay the "special"
"antique" etc value. There are plenty of instruments of it's ilk in the
attics and drawing rooms of Europe. Kind of like squares here in the
U.S.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico