practice room benches

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:55 MST 2001

I'd certainly attempt to convince my department to consider these. We've
added to our bench inventory in the last few years, so we won't be doing
any MAJOR purchases soon.

John Minor
University of Illinois

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) wrote:

]Hi All,
]
]I just finished speaking with the people at Jansen Benches about the
]possibility of them producing and marketing an adjustable bench specifically
]designed for institutional use. We have many artist benches here, and lots
]of them are assigned to the (locked) piano-major practice rooms. They
]generally hold up pretty well and we have a spare-parts repair kit with
]spare shoulder bolts, bushings, etc. which keeps them going even longer. The
]problem we have here is mainly with the upholstery. The vinyl rips, buttons
]pop out, etc., and to get the thing re-upholstered is a major pain and
]expense. What I suggested was a strong, simple, adjustable bench with a
]slightly padded top that could be easily removed and re-upholstered or
]replaced. It would be similar to what they call their "petite" artist bench.
]I know practice room benches have a hard life, but adjustable benches are
]really needed in the piano major rooms to accommodate all the different size
]people and techniques.
]
]How many of you out there would be interested in such a bench? We are going
]to be purchasing a bunch of benches in the near future and I would sure like
]to be able to get benches that will last longer and be easier to maintain. I
]hate dealing with benches, so anything that will make my life easier in that
]arena is attractive to me.
]
]I told the people at Jansen that I would poll the caut list to see if there
]was interest in such a product, and if there is a good enough response, they
]will consider designing and producing a bench more suited to our needs.
]
]So...waddaya think??
]
]Eric Wolfley, RPT
]Head Piano Technician
]Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
]University of Cincinnati
]
]