Humidity Control

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Mar 14 09:16 MST 2001

--- You wrote:
It would be most interesting if you have *two* similar instruments to add a
DC system to one and then tabulate the results. My gut reaction is that
under the circumstances you list a full blown DC system may be able to
migitate the tuning/regulation issues (particularly if they were moved and
then plugged in as close to the performance as possible), but it would be
*very* nice to know.
--- end of quote ---

I've had excellent results here at Dartmouth with 2 D's and a B that have
complete DC systems and are rolled on and off stage in a building without
humidity control. One reason is that I have an excellent relationship with the
production staff, who dependably water the pianos and keep them plugged in up to
1/2 hour before any concert, then store them correctly (plugged in and covered)
afterwards. It is a very fortunate thing indeed, to have people you can depend
on.

We also have humidity swings from 20-75%. The pianos rarely go beyond +/- 4
cents. I use 3 humidifiers and 125-150 watts in the D's, and 2 humidifiers with
100-125 watts in the B.

Danny Dover
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH