Guidelines addendum/NASM

Scott E. Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:51 MST 2001

Hello Fred and other fellow CAUTs,

Thanks for all your work and thoughts on this.

Your idea of approaching NASM is excellent. I also think they will be
interested in working with us on this, and they are in the very best
position to gather the data we need to be more effective in our over all
efforts, as well as being the best vehicle for putting some meet into the
process of implementing the guidelines, so long as they are reasonable and
represent a real world standard that they agree on.

We (the MSU music department) are in the process of doing our "Self
Evaluation" for NASM re-accreditation right now, and I agree that adding
the related piano information would be completely in keeping with the rest
of this process.

Fred wrote:
>         My suggestion is that we approach NASM, and propose to work with them
>in developing guidelines for evaluation over a period of years. We would
>propose that guidelines be based to some extent on what is practical, ie
>what is happening today in the real world. That in order to do this, we
>need to collect accurate information. Would they collect the following
>data for the next few years as part of their on-going accreditation
>process? (Things like number, age and type of pianos, annual replacement
>budget, annual maintenance budget, # of FTE technicians).
>         NASM is in the business of collecting such data. Every year about
> 1/10
>of the member institutions is up for re-evaluation. Each of these
>schools is required to provide a lot of data. Adding a few piano-related
>questions would not be a big deal. The other info - number of faculty,
>number of majors/degrees, performance vs academic emphasis, etc - they
>already know. So two or three years of data gathering would provide raw
>material for a pretty good idea of what's out there, on the basis of
>which we could come up with some broad guidelines.
>         Worth a shot, anyway.

It really is worth a shot. Where do we go from here?  My chair has been
involved as one of the NASM accreditation visitors and I could ask him
about this. Any one else have any closer connections to NASM?

Scott

Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano - Instrument Technician
Murray State University, Murray, KY