Guidelines addendum/NASM

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue Mar 20 21:15 MST 2001

Fred, Scott, list:

A couple years ago I spent some time with my School of Music Director at the
University of Redlands.  He is an evaluator of like schools for NASM.  He is
certain that NASM is uninterested in this kind of data.  He says that NASM is
after academically related information and performance, and while evaluators
do look at the musical instruments, it is not in any detail.  The kind of
data from the Guidelines, he felt, is not the kind of data NASM would be
interested in.   If something stands out good or bad it might get noted, but
I got the impression the evaluations are fairly subjective.  That is one
evaluator's perspective, anyway - and yet he did indicate that he would be
willing to connect with the head of NASM - he did talk some with him at an
informal function back in '98 and was willing to make further connection when
we wanted.

I think it is a good idea to go to NASM with some of our work already done
(though we might use their database to do it, as well as CMS's).  Yes, they
can help us at the beginning, but mostly by telling us what they are
currently looking for in piano inventories and maintenance in the various
types of music programs, if they have criteria like this.  We all know how
important a properly serviced inventory of decent quality pianos is, but some
schools will never have the resources to have both, or even one of these two.
  According to my director, NASM doesn't push this.  But If we do our own
research to get a handle on the real world, and come up with appropriate
approaches for dealing with the various real world scenarios AND instigate a
structured CAUT curriculum which would provide a baseline of
training/qualifying for CAUT techs, I think we would get NASM's attention.

A thorough study which allows us to get a handle on the various real world
music school/department/conservatory situations will give us a rock solid
place to start.  After CAUT discussions we could then provide practical real
world models for these situations, with real world examples.  This could
provide the basis for meaningful NASM dialogue, and NASM might be able to
incorporate the results of this into their evaluations - but even if they
didn't, I bet we would still be in a position to be far more effective, as
the result of the study, our efforts at dialogue, the likelihood of greater
visibility through publishing, and especially the implementation of a CAUT
curriculum at the Annual Institute, and the increased success in recruitment
and upgrading of both employed and contract CAUTs.

Bill Shull, RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 3/20/01 1:49:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,