old Beckstein

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue Mar 27 08:44 MST 2001

Has anyone ever tried to modify the old rocker style capstan/whippen
connection with short sticker to the modern capstan which would
then accommodate new Renner replacement whippens?  I'm considering whether
or not to accept such an action job on an old 1880's Beckstein Grand with
that system, and not really sure I'm interested if I can't use all new
parts. It would probably involve adding a small wood block on top the key
to mount the new capstan, but ultimately the geometry should not be
affected if done correctly, and would be much improved and more reliable
with the modern capstan and parts. This is for a serious player who seems
committed to the instrument. We already talked about putting the money
toward something new and different.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson