Piano covers

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 1 07:28 MST 2001

Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
> between our two halls you have to "jog" the pianos between
> stage fly equipment....it is pretty tight...the cover's tear
> going by sometimes...
>
> there is a tent and awning company in town for repairs...I'm
> thinking of having them sew on leather patches  and leather corners
> on the mover type in strategic
> spots to make 'em extra tough....
>
> Thanks for the info, though....

Richard,
 You reminded me of the tent and awning company I used many years ago. I had
them reinforce the corners with heavy vinyl material.  We take the covers on
and off for stage recitals, so the result was a fairly heavy cover and they
were not the best for us.
    The patches of vinyl also made the replacement of the covers easier
because the keyboard end was very apparent.  Saved much time just twirling
the cover around to get the right fit.  The fact that you can leave the
covers on helps in the respect.
    Our work with the tent company was very successful and would encourage
you to pursue that idea.  Let us know what happens.   Helps us all to know
about new solutions.
Joel
-- Joel A. Jones
Senior Piano Technician