Small colleges in remote towns

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun Nov 4 09:26 MST 2001

On 11/4/01 9:22 AM, "David M. Porritt" <dm.porritt@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is the local tech competent?  Is his/her tuning up to the level they
> need?  If not, they might just have to get a better local tech.

This college I have not yet visited has made use of all the local techs and
still feels the need to call on me.

> If
> this tech is competent for tuning, why couldn't he/she do all the
> tuning, and have you come in as the consultant to do the technical
> things the local person can't do.

Good idea, except the college is not confident that the local techs provide
good tunings. Perhaps I need to do some tunings so that the college can see
how quickly my tunings also evaporate.  :)

> If enough budget to tune frequently enough is the problem, you'll
> only exacerbate the problem with your higher costs.  They'll just
> have to bite the bullet and come up with the money.

Indeed. I can't help but think that extra money would be better spent with
the local techs rather than with me. However, It may very well be that the
only way they are going to break loose of extra money is if it is going to
go to an outside tech with (perceived) greater credibility than the local
techs. I think their evaluation of me and my work will be colored by the
perception that I _must_ be better since I am the outside expert costing
them all this extra money.

It's not fair, is it!?

Kent