key doublets

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun Nov 4 20:17 MST 2001

In a message dated 11/4/01 8:57:38 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jbaird@fgi.net writes:

> When adjusting backchecks in the past,
> there have been times when it seemed that too little force was required
> to bend the backcheck wire in order to get a change in checking height.
> I have thought that there might be metal fatigue in the backcheck wire,
> that it might be close to breaking. Now I suspect that the wire is just
> moving in the enlarged hole in the ... doublet.
>
> Others, pleas comment.
>
> Thank you,
>
> John Baird

I have also had back check wires bend very easy. However, I don't think the
wire was moving in the doublet. (I figured out what it is, although I still
have never heard of that piece of wood called that before). I also don't
think it was wire fatigue. I just think it is a weaker wire material. Why
Steinway choose to use that I don't know.

Wim