key doublets

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Tue Nov 6 16:06 MST 2001

Hi Ted,

Thank you again for your note.

>  it is just a defect of my character.

Well, if you say so, but I thought you were perfect.  Now any numeration
of my character flaws will have to come from my former wife or my
daughter.  Opinions do differ.

The English call things by weird names, boot for the trunk of a car,
bonnet for the hood etc., etc.

We considered, toe rail, kick panel, pedal board and a few others.  Our
choices were based upon consensus, clearing up or not creating confusion
and in some cases, personal preference.

The whole idea was to find as many names, from as many sources and to
put out something that could be used as a reference work to make
communication easier.  I think we succeeded quite well.

I love to know things, like the source of "The whole nine yards".
(W.W.II reference to .50 caliber machine guns in aircraft having a belt
nine yards long.  TO shoot the "whole nine yards" was to use up all your
ammunition(  Some of the sources of piano names are lost in the mists of
history, evolution and other sources of confusion.  I still would like
to know the source of "wippen".

>  It must have been some job, like trying to lift
>  an elephant with a lever made of feathers.

Well, not quite but getting a committee to work is like pushing a rubber
band across the desk.

> I would be the last to try and impose one
> term on definition of any everybody,

I know.  But I would. :)

> My objection is to those people who enter our field
> without knowledge, and do not have the discipline

We are piano geeks, some are computer geeks and others are money geeks.
Everyone to their own language but Lord helps us all when we try to talk
to other geeks. :)

My very best to you Ted.

And the list.

		Newton