replacing plain wire

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Nov 7 10:44 MST 2001

Wim,
as a matter of course, I try to find 'several' indicators before doing major
work. Denis Brassard ( Banff Centre for the Arts ), a careful, clever and
respected technician, really emphasized this principle to me.

As well, even after almost 20 years in the trade, I am still some what of a
"chicken" and like to "choose my fights" carefully. :>)

For example, our recital 'D' was 10 years old when I began here, and
entirely original.

I was aware this piano was "overdue" for stringing according to general
recommendations, but began to look for specific indicators. It didn't take
long:

1.) False beats that couldn't be eliminated through (gentle) string-seating
or advancing "fresh" wire into the speaking length.

2.) Poor rendering in the treble sections.

3.) Spontaneous string breakage, at the capo. (typical point of elongation)

I capitalized on the "visual aspect" of the latter by splicing rather than
replacing strings (I favor splicing over replacing, unless the stringing as
a whole is fairly new).

It was then a simple matter to demonstrate false beats, show a segment of
broken string, and point out several splices, to the 'peace of mind' of our
Dean (and myself), that re-stringing was overdue.

BTW, the false beats were actually caused by loose bridge-pins, barely
"finger-tight," from F#4 (gauge change) to C8.

Although I believe you can and will discern a difference between new and
older string Wim, the greatest benefits seem to come from servicing all
bearing and termination points at the time of a re-stringing.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University