replacing plain wire

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Nov 8 13:53 MST 2001

In a message dated 11/7/01 11:43:15 AM Central Standard Time,
cramer@BrandonU.CA writes:

> It was then a simple matter to demonstrate false beats, show a segment of
> broken string, and point out several splices, to the 'peace of mind' of our
> Dean (and myself), that re-stringing was overdue.
>
> BTW, the false beats were actually caused by loose bridge-pins, barely
> "finger-tight," from F#4 (gauge change) to C8.
>
> Although I believe you can and will discern a difference between new and
> older string Wim, the greatest benefits seem to come from servicing all
> bearing and termination points at the time of a re-stringing.
>
> best regards,
> Mark Cramer,
> Brandon University

Mark

Thank you for this information. But based on the above, it would seem that
the original reason, false beats, wase not the result of poor wire, but loose
bridge pins. In other words, if you had tapped down the bridge pins, or at
most, removed them, (and only loosened the strings to get at the pins), and
epoxied them in place, you would not have had to restring the piano. I agree
that servicing all bearing points is easier with the strings removed. But the
big question still remains, is there a reason  to restring the whole piano?
Unless someone else can come up with another valid reason, I am still not
convinced that restringing is something that needs to be done, other than for
the obvious reasons, like replacing a pin block, even after 100 years.

Wim