Replacing plain wire

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue Nov 13 06:25 MST 2001

Del:

Thanks so much for the information.  I think I'm going to select one
that has a really weak sound in that area and see what can be done
with the "Pure Sound" wire.  It'll probably have to wait until next
summer when time is not quite as highly structured.

I'll post the results.

dave

On 11/12/01 at 10:03 PM Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]
E-32),
>a longer F-33 and a shorter mid-tenor. This, however, would have
involved
>rather more extensive changes to the plate pattern than the company
was
>willing to consider at the time. And there was no interest at all in
>whole
>new plate. As it is, tensions are extremely high from about C40
through
>F#-58 (several are comfortably above 200 lbs (91 kgf) but drop off
rather
>rapidly below that. As I recall the total scale tension was around
43,500
>lbs (19,750 kgf)--rather high for a piano of this size. About all I
can say
>is that it is less erratic than its processor and I'd love to do a
new
>scale
>and a new plate for a piano of this size. Or, at the least, move the
V-bar
>around to correct for the erratic hammer strike point and make
another
>tenor
>bridge for the piano--including a separate transition bridge for the
lowest
>four notes in the tenor section--and a new bass scale. Ah, well....
>
>I'm not sure what I'd recommend to improve the tone in the area that
>bothers
>you. It's a bit high up in the scale for wrapped strings. As it is
F-33 is
>only 812 mm long but, as you can see, the tension is up around 158
lbs (72
>kgf) and it took a #21 wire to get it there. I don't think I'd want
to see
>anything any thicker.
>
>I do have a new tenor/bass string scale for this piano (leaving the
bridges
>alone) that actually lowers tensions and smoothes things out a bit
more,
>but
>the lowest tri-chords remain the same.
>
>An aside, you might check string bearing--this was often a somewhat
>flexible
>parameter on these pianos and can cause real problems down
>there--especially
>if it is too high.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del