It IS a full time job

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Thu Nov 15 19:15 MST 2001

Hey Newton and list:

   I can certainly empathize with the unfortunate circumstances in
your past, I dealt with a toxic dealer relationship that jeopardized
the well being and security of my family and made a choice to never
be in that position again. The PTG has always been my greatest source
of security, knowledge is power. Every class I took and each craftsman
I sought out contributed to the reputation I hold at ASU, which is
at least mostly positive. Jim Coleman paved the way and established
a culture of professionalism, I inherited it and went on to build on years
of quality expectations.

  Newton, I appeal to you to give the best of your positive experiences and
knowledge to those looking for advice on getting started in the university
and college scene. I just think that this is an important time for this
forum to create a positive culture on what has been accomplished by so many
of you so far.  A first order question concerning cultures would be:
Can they be created, nurtured, or modified?  How many of you understand
that culture is the character of an organization?  Start with goals,
values, and
a shared set of attitudes that advocates excellence. I think it sounds like
you were in a horrible culture Newton, and it went from bad to worse. Our
director, Dr. Wayne Bailey, is an example of a leader with vision and
managerial skills. This is often not the case. I could rant on but I have
a 110 mile bike race to get ready for tomorrow, in the cycling world
the word "interval" only has one meaning, pain.

Brent Fischer
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University