It IS a full time job - marriage or what???

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 16 22:15 MST 2001

Ok, ok, I wasn't going to jump into the fray until I saw this thread
emerging. (watch out, I'm reaching for my soapbox) It is sad but true that
women received this kind of council in all seriousness in the 50's regarding
their marriages. There is an amazing, but true, article I saw from Good
Housekeeping ca. 1956 (when my mom was raising her children) about "The Good
Wife." The good wife knows her place, shuts the kids up before her man gets
home, always has a delicious home cooked meal ready for hubby, no matter
when he comes home (no questions asked if he's late), listens compliantly to
him bitch and moan about his day ("after all, his topics of conversation are
MUCH more important than yours"), etc, etc. It's enough to make you retch
until you realize how FAR we've come in just one generation!!! I am so
thankful that this kind of thing seems quaint and (almost) funny to us now.
Though marriage is still a contractual agreement, at least we women don't
feel our livelihood depends on taking s--- from our husbands! (sorry for the
digression, but I cannot resist a good feminist vent now and then)

But, back to topic, I do think tact and diplomacy is required from a caut,
or in any job. I also feel enthusiasm is required. My favorite quote to keep
in mind when I'm really having one of "those" days is: "Love like you've
never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, WORK LIKE YOU DON'T NEED THE
MONEY." You've got to love what you do. Otherwise, you may as well flip
burgers. Or get married.

Mary