Benches

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon Nov 19 21:16 MST 2001

Actually, I think I missed that post of James Grebe, though
I saw one where he described replacing the floor of a piano.

I know that benches are stronger if the bottoms are kept
tacked in.

Tonight I have another trouble -- a bench with hanger bolts
which are threaded into metal "cross dowels" of pretty good size
(5/16" bolts), and one of the cross dowels is missing, besides
the bolt for it having mashed threads in the portion intended
to be inside the leg. So far, the hardware store only has little
tiny cross dowels.

This seems to be a little bench from a Young Chang console, but
it doesn't seem to be in metric, at least.

Does anyone have a good source for bench hardware?

Thanks.

Susan

P.S. If I can't find replacement hardware, I'm considering expoxying
in a maple dowel, and then drilling a pilot hole through it, and going
with the standard hanger bolt which has wood screw threads. Still
sounds precarious. If benches didn't cost so damned much, I might be
tempted to toss little ones like this. It also has two split sides,
but I'll use the carriage bolts and epoxy to fix those up okay.