schimmel pianos

Tue Nov 20 15:29 MST 2001

Steve Kabat wrote:

> Hello group-    Does anyone have any familiarity w/
> Schimmel pianos? Our school is currently bidding for a
> piano and one of the bids is for  a 5'10" Schimmel.  We
> would most likely place it in a practice room for piano
> majors so it will get some use.  Any info or feedback from
> techs or what pianists say about it vs. S&S would be
> greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving, all.Steve Kabat

My only real beef with Schimmels is that they tend to
develope a rather brassy sound after a few years. Especially
apparent in their uprights.  All in all they are pretty nice
pianos tho, pretty reliable and should do well as a
workhorse. I have the impression that they perhaps stay a
bit more effected touchwise by unstable climatic conditions
then some other pianos in the same price class. We have two
large Schimmels at the University. Both have required more
then the usual keybedding, but have improved a bit since
installing the climate control units.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.