annealing brass in the oven

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee@humboldt1.com
Sun Nov 25 23:13 MST 2001

on 11/25/01 9:00 PM, Daniel Gurnee at dgurnee@humboldt1.com wrote:

CAUT

Addendum to my last: Annealing brass, two sources.

ŒANNEALING PROCEDURE¹
ŒHeat to dull red color, let cool to a grey color, immediately quench in
water or picking solution.²
³The Jeweler¹s Bench Reference² by Harold O¹Connor,  Pub. Dunconor book, 4th
printing 1982

ANNEALING:
³This can be done with a kiln or torch. Colors are best seen in a dimly-lit
area. Handy flux may be painted onto metal to serve as a temperature
indicator: it is clear at 1100° F.  . .   Œ
³The Complete Metalsmith², Tim McCreight, Pub. Davis Publications, Mass.,
1982.

Dan Gurnee, RPT, Ret. HSU.